Wednesday 4 November 2015

DB2 not starting in Windows VMWare on 'new' Macbook

I have a new Macbook Pro 15" - it was even provided by my employer, so it's a 'free' (to me) new Macbook - yay!

So I copy my VMWare images across from my 'old' BYOD Macbook Pro 15" and fire up. OK so far, the Windows server images boot OK.

DB2, however doesn't want to start - and the error messages aren't exactly helpful. Basically, it gets an APPCRASH and Windows offers to find a solution - which it doesn't.

The issue seems similar to this https://communities.vmware.com/message/2422305

Bear in mind it worked fine (and still does) on the 13" Mac - so what's different?

Luckily, I found this: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/461857 which suggests adding the following to the .vmx config file:

monitor_control.enable_fullcpuid = TRUE
cpuid.4.4.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000"

The technical explanation is in the link above and seems to be connected with the Haswell Processor - which might be why it worked on my 'old' mac and not on the new one.

Anyway, problem solved for now - it worked for me anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment